Tuesday 25 July 2017

Mega Adventure Singapore - I'm A Conqueror



What’s Mega Adventure


Mega Adventure is an outdoor aerial adventure park operator, with two parks in the world – one in Sentosa Island Singapore, the other in Adelaide, Australia. I first came across Mega Adventure Singapore, when I joined KFit (for only S$49 for the first month) back in December 2015. Back then, KFit was fun and we get to join various type of activities, including Mega Adventure. Well, KFit is entirely different nowadays, but that’s an entirely different story. My point is, I missed out trying out the activities offered by Mega Adventure back then, as I soon got busy with other things and had to cancelled my KFit membership to avoid paying or what I had no time to pursue. Then, this place slipped off my mind completely as time passes, until my friend, Wendy approached me.

Turned out, Wendy and Sally (my-ex-colleagues-turned-friends) were about to go for this Mega Adventure thingy with another two of their friends, by utilising their entertainer app’s 1-for-1 deal. However, one of the friends fell sick and decided to bail out, leaving one spot empty. They offered me to take up her spot and since I was free on the specified date (I’ve got to send my folks to the airport but it was a morning flight, so I was free from 11am onwards), I immediately agreed to it. After all, it’s a steal!

(This post talks about the one in Singapore, which I visited several weeks ago. For more info about Mega Adventure in Adelaide, please refer to their official website)


Pricing, packages and restrictions
  • MegaZip S$45 (minimum height: 90cm, weight: 30-140kg)
  • MegaClimb S$45 (minimum height: 120cm, weight: 25-120kg)
  • MegaJump S$25 (weight: 30-120kg)
  • MegaWall S$15 (weight: 25-120kg)
  • MegaBounce S$15 (weight: 10-90kg)
  • Conqueror S$100 (MegaZip + MegaClimb + MegaJump + MegaWall/MegaBounce + Free express pass)
  • High Flyer S$85   (MegaZip + MegaClimb + MegaJump)
  • Adventurer S$75   (MegaZip + MegaClimb)
  • Thrill Seeker S$65   (MegaZip + MegaJump)
**Tip: 10% discount if booked online (Tickets are valid for 60 days only from the date of purchase and you must bring your confirmation email to obtain your tickets at Mega Adventure Park ticketing counter)

Note: Entertainer App
What’s even better than 10% discount? Entertainment app, it is! For entertainer app user, you get a 1-for-1 conqueror package, or a 1-for-1 MegaBounce, or a 1-for-1 MegaCLimb.

Why pay more when you can pay less?

Afterthought

The highlight of MegaAdventure is definitely MegaZip which is not separately available via entertainer app, unless of course if you were to choose the Conqueror Package (marketing strategy you know?). And I would definitely recommend getting the Conqueror Package ‘cos you save a whopping S$50! Plus, MegaClimb is also not to be missed (personal opinion).


Getting there

Location:

10A Siloso Beach Walk
Singapore 099008
Phone: +65 6722 3785
Open daily 11am-7pm

Map from MegaAdventure website

There are several ways to get to Mega Adventure, but here’s the easiest and quickest ways:

Sentosa Express Monorail + Beach Tram (see above map)
If you were to enter Sentosa from VivoCity via Sentosa Express Monorail, alight at Beach Station (the last stop). From there, take the free beach tram towards Siloso Beach and alight at the 3rd stop. Mega Adventure is on your left
Sentosa Boardwalk + Sentosa Express Monorail + Beach Tram
Wanna save some bucks? Walk from VivoCity via Sentosa Boardwalk and board the monorail at Waterfront station (free, you only need to pay if you board from Sentosa). Alight at Beach Station and take the free beach tram to SIloso Beach (alight at the 3rd stop)
For ways to get to Mega Adventure using other means of transport, please refer to their Singapore website.

Siloso Beach

D-Day

We agreed to meet at VivoCity at 11am that day, so after sending off my parents on their flight back to KL, my brother in law sent me home. I dropped my belongings, changed my attire and packed whatever necessary items into my bag pack then rushed over to meet Wendy, Sally and their friend, Hui Wen (hope I spelled your name correctly). From VivoCity, we walked through Sentosa Boardwalk, towards Sentosa Island (yeap, trying to save that extra few bucks on the monorail ride). We then boarded the monorail at Waterfront Station, but alighted a station early at Imbiah Station. After clarifying with a shopkeeper, we boarded the monorail again and this time alighted correctly at Beach Station, before boarding the free beach tram to Siloso Beach.

At the ticketing counter
Flashing Sally’s and HW’s entertainer app, we got 4 conqueror packages at the price of 2, costly only S$50 for each of us. Activities included in the package are MegaZip, MegaClimb, MegaJump and a choice of MegaBounce or MegaWall. There’s even an express pass included which allows us to skip the queue for MegaZip.

Wristbands
There are height and weight limit and restrictions on the activities, so after purchasing our tickets (which comes in form of a wristband), the staffs took our weight measurement and this is then written down on our wristbands. Once done, the staffs helped us with the harness. This is to be worn the entire time.


Buggy ride to Imbiah Hill

Waiting to board the buggy car

We then queued in line, and waited to be driven to Imbiah Hill on a buggy car. As we drove up Imbiah Hill, we passed by two young gentlemen on foot. They weren’t wearing any harness though, so they were probably there for a hike. I shall check this place out in the future, to see if there’s any hiking trail worth trekking. The ride to Imbiah Hill took only several minutes and we arrived in no time. Fortunately, it wasn’t crowded at the hour of our visit, since it was lunch hour. We were greeted warmly by the staffs stationed there and was told to proceed to MegaClimb first.


MegaClimb – You’ve got to be dauntless

MegaClimb is Singapore’s premiere high ropes adventure course. Build on 5 to 15 metres high Eucalyptus trees, there are three levels of obstacles challenges to be attempted, with 12 obstacles at each level. Participants were to choose 24 out of 36 obstacles, in other words, 2 out of 3 levels, with level 1 being the easiest and level 3 the toughest. Those who are confident can skip Level 1 and proceed straight to Level 2 and 3, but for beginners or those who are not quite confident, it is recommended that you start from Level 1 and then choose between Level 2 or Level 3.

Starting off with MegaClim

We started with Level 1 since the girls were not very confident and in fact slightly afraid of falling off the obstacles. I, on the other hand was also unsure whether I could balance myself, although I’m very keen to attempt the more difficult Level 2 and 3. A Caucasian man who came in the same buggy car with us skipped Level 1 and proceed directly to Level 2, only to halt after the first obstacle and decided to start with Level 1 instead. (We asked him later why he did that and was told that he had cold feet since it shook too violently up there and he decided to warm up with an easier level. Of coz, he did well for Level 1 and headed for Level 3 after that)

Dangling wooden platforms for Level 2 and 3 (difficulity level: high) in background

Note:
I wanted to bring the GoPro in for some photo taking but I was afraid it might hinder my movement, causing me to lose balance. After all, it’s not mine and I didn’t want to risk damaging it. The instructors were kind enough to let me store it in their personal bag where I can retrieve it once I’m done. Too bad, no photos of me doing the obstacle challenge. Oh well, I guess, I’ll just need to come back, right? *grin*

Level 1

We started off with Level 1 which we were told were the easiest of all 3 levels. Unfortunately, just by doing the second obstacle, my legs started shaking as I tried to balance myself. I was the lead of the pack and I tried to keep myself composed and calm, not wanting to frighten the girls who were already quite panicked with the first obstacle. I’ve gotta admit that I did thought of giving up at that point, but the competitiveness in me drove me to finish it. The third obstacle was the easiest and I started to regained my confidence and courage and by the time I was at the middle of the game, I started getting more and more excited. It was getting fun and I was overcome with joy. All fear gone, and all was left was excitement. Guess, I just need to warm up?

Level 1, 2 and 3 visible behind us (starting off with easier obstacles)

We took longer than average as Wendy struggled to overcome her fear of heights, so by the time we finished Level 1, we headed down to ground level to get some drink while taking a short break. The Caucasian man who were behind Wendy went off to Level 3 and we watched from bench. The last few obstacles of Level 3 looked rather difficult and immediately Sally and HW confirmed that they would chose Level 2.

Level 2

After much persuading, Wendy finally decided to tag along for Level 2. Level 2 was slightly more challenging as compared to Level 1. One is required to balance well on those hanging platforms as he or she manoeuvres the way across each obstacle. Again, I led the girls and after figuring out how to more easily passed each obstacle, I shared the discoveries with Wendy who was right behind me and in turn, she taught Sally who was after her. HW was the last one behind.

Hardest obstacles towards the end of the course

Level 3

Level is meant to be the most challenging, but we did not attempt that. The rules clearly state that we shall only choose 2 out of 3 levels, so we went ahead towards MegaJump instead. Now that I think about it, I should have asked the instructors to let me do Level 3 as well. They were pretty lenient and there were actually no markings to indicate how many levels we have done. Well, I’d missed my chance, so perhaps next time?

Looking down from Level 3

Afterthought:

I’d say I love MegaClimb. It’s definitely one of my favourite activities among all we have done that day. Personally, I love challenging myself and if I were to act alone or to be racing against time, it would be a different kind of fun. But waiting for my friend and to complete it together makes for different kind of experience and it challenged me to be more patient, understanding, passing on message clearly and concisely, and therefore, I personally think this is perfect for team building.
Obstacles do no block path, they are the path




MegaJump – Freefall sensation

Jumping off from 15m

"Climb up to 5 metres high, stand at the ledge, take a deep breath, one leg forward and jump” That doesn’t sound too difficult, does it? I thought I was fearless. I thought I was dauntless. I thought I was the bravest one among the four of us. I ended up having cold feet and chickened out during my first attempt. Epic fail. And so so so embarrassing. I went into panic mode the moment I stepped on the ledge and I even resorted to holding the instructors’ shirt, for fear of being pushed down. Trust me, they would really give you the much-needed nudge if you were to hesitate. It’s their job after all. After retreating for the first time, I let the girls go first before finally making a second attempt. It’s a success the second time albeit screaming my lungs out. I must be a nuisance!

Anything that gets your blood racing is probably worth doing

Here’s the video caught on Gopro:





Afterthought:

I think this is a good warm-up for those who is going to attempt bungee anytime soon. I know, I know, this is nowhere near bungee, but that’s my point. At 15 metres high, it’s way much lower than an average bungee and the fact that you are not going down with your head first, makes it less frightening. But then again, staying at the ledge and preparing yourself to jump is pretty much similar. It takes some courage to do the leap of faith. So this is definitely a good practice to prepare you for a bungee. Just don’t chicken out on this. If you can’t even do this, what makes you think you can do bungee?


MegaZip – Adrenaline Rush

Zipping down from here to Siloso Beach

Having done with MegaJump, our last stop at tower was MegaZip, which will bring us back to Siloso Beach. We took a short break to catch our breath, take some photos and have a drink before we climbed back up to the highest floor. The queue has started the form and therefore we utilise our express pass to cut queue. Lucky for us. *wink*

Being cheapo, we didn't buy the photo but snapped from the screen. LOLs

It’s 75 metres high, and 450 metres long, and was said one would be flying off at the speed of 60kph. So make sure you have your caps tightly secured, or it could probably flown off. There were three zip lines in place but only two were operating that day (not sure if it’s the same every day), and the four of us split into two groups. I was to go first with Sally while Wendy will go with HW. Again, my fear of heights struck in again and I started asking the instructors whether anyone had ever died from this. Pfft! I’m such a drama queen, I know. Of course the answer is “No” and with my harness tightly secured, the instructor opened the gate, and I hesitantly stepped out to be hanging there, mid-air. Mamma Mia!

Hanging mid-air, flying off soon

Well, I’d said it wasn’t so bad sitting mid-air, surprisingly. But then as I was talking to Sally, we were released without a warning, and off we flew. Holy shit! But damn, this is so much fun! The sudden release caught me by surprise but by the time I recollect myself, I was truly enjoying the flying sensation. Too bad, it was short-lived, and we reach the end in a few minutes.

Here’s the GoPro video of me doing MegaZip:



Note: If you look at the video, I was a little light and got stuck before reaching the net, so they had to pull me in manually. It happened quite often especially to lighter girls, so don’t panic and follow the instructions.  

Afterthought

This is definitely the highlight of the day. I mean, who doesn’t like ziplining, right? It’s the main attraction of Mega Adventure, and I can see why it is so. Flying off across jungle canopy with breathtaking view of the jungle, Siloso Beach, and the blue sky? Definitely worth it! Too bad, it was short! Tight on budget and can only do one activity? By all means, pick MegaZip. If you can fork out a little more than do both MegaZip and MegaClimb.

Flying off

When life gets dull, spice it up with some adrenaline rush 


MegaBounce – Acrobats for a day

In the Conqueror Package, we were to choose between MegaWall or MegaBounce, both individually priced at S$15. Since we had attempted wall climbing before and had not tried trampoline, we chose MegaBounce over MegaWall. The staffs at the ticketing counter also reckon choosing MegaBounce as they mentioned it’s more fun.

Buckle up

MegaBounce is basically a bungee assisted trampoline, which is located just right next to the ticketing counter. It bounces up to 8m high under the supervision of the instructors, and the harnesses are in place to safety purpose. It’s the most childf-friendly activity of the bunch and it’s the kids favourite playground. We were practically the only adults attempting this that day and we even asked the instructors whether this is actually for kids only. Of course, it’s also opened for adults, but many think that it’s childish and give it a pass. Afterall, there aren’t many who sign up for the conqueror package.

Fun fact: 
The company also operate permanent MegaBounce sites at Resort World Sentosa and Singapore Zoo.

Bounce, bounce bounce

I think each person is only given around 15 to 20 minutes on the trampoline, and while you’re at it, you can do all sorts of stunts as you like. Wendy successfully flip several times, while all my attempts to do so failed embarrassingly. At some point, I even felt dizzy and gave up trying. I guess, there are things I can never learn to master no matter how hard I try.


Afterthought:

Boring. Nauseous. Dull. Period. (Oh well, maybe because I suck at it. LOLs.)


Extra: Not attempted - MegaWall

Posing in front of the wall

We didn’t climb the wall, but here’s some insights for your information:
  • The wall is located at the same tower where you would be doing your MegaClimb, MegaJump and MegaZip (there are all at the same place, except for MegaBounce)
  • The wall is 15m high
  • There are three different routes to the top
  • You won’t be needing a belayer as it is supported by auto-belay system all the way, so it’s fine to come alone (but where’s the fun in that, right?)
  • You will be under the supervision of the instructors
Impression

The 15m doesn’t look too high for me, and I think it’s challengeable. I’d previously done wall climbing at Climb Central (via KFit pass) and that was higher than 15m (if I remember correctly). I wouldn’t mind doing MegaWall in favour of MegaBounce actually. In fact, I think I would have preferred wall climbing over trampoline (since I sucked at it) but it’s a natural choice to sacrifice a familiar activity for something new and fresh. At least now I’ve experienced how it is to be bouncing on a trampoline.


Epilogue

I was supposed to be in KL that weekend to run some errands for my cousin and make a short hike up Bukit Tabur with some friends, but my parents happened to be in town and I’d cancelled the plan to keep them company. The folks were to fly back on Sunday morning, and with this last-minute invitation from Wendy, suddenly my empty Sunday was filled up. It was a tiring day indeed, waking up early to send my parents to the airport, then rushing over to the other end of Singapore, and spent the entire days exercising my muscles.

Thanks girls, for inviting me

However, I was glad that I joined the girls that day. I had lots of fun, and I can see myself returning for this again in the future, well, if there’s another deal like this. *wink*


The adrenaline of an adventure is better than a thousand peaceful days


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thank you for reading all the way till the end. Here’s some tips and recommendation for those of you who plan to pay a visit soon. Hope it helps you with your planning.

Recommended sequence

1) MegaClimb > MegaJump > MegaWall > MegaZip > MegaBounce

Start your day with MegaClimb at the second level of the tower where Level 1 begins, then proceed to either third level (Level 2) or forth level (Level 3), then climb up to the highest level for MegaJump. That will bring you to ground floor and you can then do MegaWall. Climb up to the top then abseil down to ground floor, and head back to the top floor for the highlight of the day – MegaZip. This will take you back to Siloso Beach, and you can end the day with MegaBounce.

2) MegaBounce > MegaClimb > MegaJump > MegaWall > MegaZip

Alternatively, you can kick off with MegaBounce before taking the buggy car to Imbiah Hill for all the other attractions, ending it with MegaZip which brings you back to Siloso Beach.

My verdict?
If you are not getting the Conqueror Package, start with the activities at Imbiah Hill and save MegaBounce last, as the queue at MegaZip can get quite long on busy days.


Tips

Attire
I saw people doing the activities with all sort of attires. Some even showed up in maxi dress (I understand Siloso Beach is just right nearby), but I don’t advise doing so. Wear your work out attire, something you would wear to hit the gym, yoga classes or when you go hiking. And ladies, avoid loose shorts since you will be up there bouncing (MegaBounce) or climbing (MegaWall and MegaClimb) and you wouldn’t want to provide free show, unless of course, if that’s what you want.

Footwear
Slippers and high heels are not allowed (Seriously, who would wear that?). Please be sure to wear your sport shoes or at least a pair of sneakers.

Cameras and phones
They allow camera and phones, so feel free to bring along yours, but with one condition though – it must come with a camera wrist strap, or phone pouch with lanyard, for safety reason. GoPro is the most ideal choice for outdoor activity like this.

Locker
There are storage lockers available for rent next to the ticketing counter, and it is recommended that you store your bags there. We paid S$4 that day (small locker) for 2 hours of storage.

Food and beverages
I don’t see any rules prohibiting outside food and drinks, but I’m pretty sure you won’t have time to eat during the courses. Bottle water is however provided (FOC) at the activity tower. You’ll be sweating a lot and get dehydrated easily for staying under the sun for hours, so drink up! It’s free anyway.

Sunblock
It’s Singapore and the sun here is crazy, so be well protected. We did apply sunblock that day but unfortunately the lazy me missed a few spots on my arms and I’m burnt. So if tanned skin is not your thing, make sure you apply vigorously.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for reading

Disclaimer: 
This is not an advertorial for Mega Adventure or Entertainer App. All expenses are paid out of my own pocket.

Related Articles

2 comments:

  1. I impressed with your article. Tq for sharing amazing place. Keep on updating
    For more beautiful places visit:
    Island
    Angkor Wat
    Top Tourist Places
    Best Temples

    Places To see In Angkor Watt
    Thing to do in Siem Reap
    Summer vaction

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is good site to spent time on .I just stumbled upon your informative blog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed reading your very well written blog posts. I will be your frequent visitor, that's for sure.

    best climbing wall games in singapore

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.