Wednesday 1 January 2020

2019: Another Busy Year With Some Unfulfilled Goals

Every year at the end of December, I take a trip down memory lane, recalling my journey for the year, penning down what I’ve done, where I’ve been, and planning what and where I would head to the following year. It’s a habit ever since I moved to Singapore in 2014. First, as a short post on Facebook, then subsequently turning into a blog post from 2017 onwards after starting this blog in 2016. It’s a tradition I would love to see myself carrying on.


Since I started this blog, every year around November, I would start recalling what I have been through for the past 11 months and started penning downs what to write in my Year-In-Review. But this year around, I was too busy with work that I could hardly start looking at it until oh well, a couple of days before the year ends. With my lousy memory, let’s recall and see how far I’ve come in 2019!

I penned down the following goals in my Year-In-Review last year, let’s see what exactly happened to them, shall we?


 2019  Milestones

Travel – A Winter Trip?

➤How did it go? ✅

Following my business trip to Germany last year November when I missed out the fun with the snow (saw them but it melted before I could touch them) I made up my mind to have a winter trip possibly by 2019, not knowing that I would be trekking in Nepal during the winter in December!



Finally, a lovely departure from my usual South East Asia trips (summer all year long, it’s so hot) and it surprisingly snowed when I was trekking to Gokyo Lake after my trek to Everest Base Camp. It’s been only a couple of weeks after I return from the trip, so do stay tune for my upcoming blog posts.

Trips I’ve taken in 2019:
Kuching Weekend Nature Trip (Feb 2019) 2D1N (here, here and here)
Penang Wesak Holiday Food Trip (May 2019) 3D2N (food guide in progress)
Melaka Weekend Food Trip (Jun 2019) 2D1N (food guide here)
Cameron Highlands Long Weekend Trip (Aug 2019) 4D3N (stay tune)
Kuantan Career Switch Short Trip (Oct 2019) 2D1N (no blog post)
Nepal Winter Trekking Trip (Dec 2019) 18D17N (coming soon!)



➤What’s for 2020? Autumn or Spring?

I don’t want to limit myself to anything, but a trip to somewhere during autumn or spring would probably be amazing. But, it really depends on airline promotions, my new job schedule and leave availability. Nonetheless, with more annual leave for my new job, hopefully I could go out and see more of the world!



Hiking – Back In The Game?

➤How did it go? 

I had a crazy hiking year in 2017 where I was kinda hardcore and I made sure to be easy on myself in 2018, but part of me longed for the mountains. I must say, I missed the challenge, so I made some effort to join some moderately challenging hikes in 2019 to keep the passion burning. Happy to know I’m still up for it and had a lot of fun. 15 hikes in a year, not bad huh?


2019 Hiking Trips:
Gunung Pulai @ Kulai, Johor (Jul 2019) with MMC (no blog post)
MacRitchie and Bukit Timah hike @ Singapore (Nov 2019) with Uncle Mak and Zhan Yi (no blog post)
Everest Base Camp and Gokyo Lake @ Khumbu, Nepal (Dec 2019) with Tutters (in progress!)



What’s for 2020? Let’s do another trek oversea or a Malaysia G7?

Another alpine trekking?
Some small hikes while travelling oversea?
Or the rest of the remaining G7 in my list? (Yong Yap and Ulu Sepat)

Whatever it is, I know I would have a good time. *wink*



Running – Another marathon?

➤How did it go? ❌

Having been too stressed out to train for a full marathon in 2018, I become too reluctant to do any running in 2019 despite setting a goal to run weekly as a healthy regime. I would come up with different excuses so not to run and boy, it served me right to gain a couple of kilograms this year. Apart from that one race at the beginning of the year, I hardly go for any run or jog. Guilty as charged!

Running race I joined in 2019:
2XU Singapore Compression Run (Apr 2019) – Half Marathon (21.195km)



➤What’s for 2020? At least one half marathon and fortnightly run

My new job schedule may not permit myself to run weekly, so let’s not be too over-ambitious and try to stick to running every fortnightly. And sign up for some races throughout the year to keep myself motivated. I don’t mind running half marathon as I find this distance suit me the best. It’s neither too long to exhaust myself nor too short to waste the registration fee. 



Swimming – Let’s get it done! 

➤How did it go? ✅

Finally after years of procrastination, I finally took swimming lesson somewhere in the middle of the year. Unfortunately my schedule forbid myself from continuing my lesson so I continue practicing on my own and the progress has since been kind of slow. Then I stop swimming when things got too busy when I was switching job.

➤What’s for 2020? Being able to swim laps!

Learning is a lifelong progress and I don’t expect myself to be a good swimmer in a short time, but I would love to at least swim properly and be able to swim a lap. 



Blogging – Clear All The Backlogs? 

➤How did it go? ❌

I published 50 blog posts in 2018 and I thought I could write as much if not more in 2019, hence aspiring to finish my backlogs. Unfortunately I only wrote and publish 27 posts in 2019. I can’t believe I still haven’t finish writing my Sri Lanka and Germany posts. I really, really, really hate piling my travel posts up.  

What’s for 2020? Just keep writing

With Nepal now added to the list, I’m sure I’m gonna have a hard time in 2020. I think I need a miracle! But nonetheless, let's just keep writing!



And if you didn't already know, I was included in the list of Top 30 Malaysian Travel Blogger by Feedpost.com. Had to admit I'm honoured. Hopefully, I can write and share more travel stories in 2020!



2020 – Let's do it!


Travel at least 
new countries
Malaysia road trip

Hike at least
❶⓿ new Malaysia peaks
❶ new Singapore trail

🏁Run at least 
 races
❷⓿⓿ km

📖Read at least 
 books

Write at least 
❸❻ blog posts 

📷Post at least 
❷❹ photos on Instagram



Epilogue

2019 has been a busy year. Let’s hope that the new year is less hectic and more fun. But most importantly, I hope this blog keeps running and didn’t get abandoned despite my new demanding job. 

Let’s welcome a new beginning, one I hope is filled with never-ending joy and laughter. 

Happy New Year

Related Articles

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Powered by Blogger.